Accounting / Auditing
Banking and Financial Services
Senior Management / Directors
Some careers shine brighter than others.
If you're looking for a career that will help you stand out, join HSBC and fulfil your potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world, with operations in 64 countries and territories. We aim to be where the growth is, enabling businesses to thrive and economies to prosper, and, ultimately, helping people to fulfil their hopes and realise their ambitions.
About HSBC - Global Service Centres
Our Global Service Centres are an integral part of Global Operations. Employees based there manage day-to-day customer transactions and processes for the global businesses. This may include transactions for our retail bank such as processing loans, credit cards, insurance and mortgage applications, opening new accounts, and managing customer enquiries through contact centres and digital platforms.
Employees in the Global Service Centres also run and manage operations for commercial bank customers. This includes processing credit applications, facilitating payments and managing the import and export transactions that enable customers to protect and grow their businesses through international trade
We are currently seeking an experienced professional to join our team in the role of Assistant Vice President - Investigative Reporting (Global Career Band 5)
Responsible for managing a team of investigators (between 8 to 10) tasked with conducting investigations concerning accounts/transactions where potential financial crime risk has been identified and, where necessary, referring and/or escalating such cases in accordance with the Investigative Reporting (Investigative Reporting) Procedures for regulatory decisions and filing and appropriate internal referrals for action.
Direct the teams to ensure processes are implemented in accordance with procedures and quality decisions and written products are produced in a timely manner.
What you'll do:
Responsible for managing the following activity:
Effective and timely investigation into assigned cases in accordance with agreed standard reporting requirements and service level agreements. These cases may include:
- unusual activity reports from various parts of the bank as well as other HSBC entities as applicable, including other business lines and functions;
- escalated cases from transaction monitoring systems;
- escalated cases identified by true matches to screening lists escalated from Name Screening teams;
- cross-border referrals;
- and escalated cases from Fraud Operations.
Ensure investigators perform, in line with the instructions, in order to identify any probable financial crime related issues, or mitigation of any financial crime risks.
Ensure through manager review that high quality investigative narrative (Investigation Report) are prepared and the case file is populated with appropriate documentation.
Ensure that review recommendations are made as appropriate, which may include referral to the MLRO as to whether a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) should be filed or not or escalation to appropriate other teams for co-ordination and further review as required (Sanctions, ABC, Major Investigations, etc).
Ensure where appropriate, interaction with relevant stakeholders, including Complex and Major Investigations, and Customer Selection Exit Management (CSEM) (CSEM) Secretariat to manage financial crime risk is done in accordance with procedures.
Provide information on completed investigations to Senior Management and other internal stakeholders for risk management, where appropriate.
Deliver to team, post receipt from Accredited Trainers, training modules under the Continuous Training Programme, for embedding.
Lead on collaboration and provision of feedback with/to Transaction Monitoring Operations, Fraud Operations and Name Screening as appropriate.
Impact on the Business
Responsible for managing the follow activity:
- Appropriate pro-active use of media reports and relevant websites to gather intelligence and identify customers of HSBC involved in financial crime, including money laundering and terrorism.
- High quality case file including a comprehensive narrative and recommendation as to whether or not a SAR is appropriate with onward escalation for disclosure to the relevant authorities in accordance with procedural standards.
- Appropriate referrals for action identified, and effecting of such in accordance with procedural standards.
- Proportionate number of investigations completed to the agreed procedural standards required and within agreed service level agreements.
- Appropriate consideration given to each case as to content and quality of content/narrative.
- Appropriate escalation to other Investigations teams, taking care to evaluate appropriately against relevant escalation criteria.
Customer / Stakeholders
- Deal with enquiries from colleagues of other HSBC business areas in a professional, responsive manner, giving them appropriate guidance, referring to management where necessary.
- Deal with external enquiries, if required, in a professional manner, providing appropriate information, referring to management, where necessary.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Ensure compliance with Regulatory, Bank Policy and Principles.
- Maintain records, and update case histories.
- Work closely with Investigators to develop personal capability and develop career goals.
- Work effectively and professionally with colleagues across Investigations and the organization.
- Lead, develop and motivate the team to attract, retain and develop capacity, capability and talent for continuous delivery of timely, high quality investigations.
- Cultivate an environment that supports diversity.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Ensure performance meets the requirements of any relevant service level agreements and at all times, adheres to UK, Local, Group and Regulatory policies.
- Generate ideas to improve team and process efficiencies.
- Monitor and assess performance and level of resourcing.
What you will need to succeed in the role:
- Universal banking experience across Retail, Commercial and Banking and Markets
- Money Laundering investigations experience including understanding transaction monitoring scenarios
- Familiarity and experience with transaction monitoring and associated systems and case management systems (Universal Case Management (UCM))
- Experience with banking core customer data management systems (i.e. HSBC Universal Banking (HUB) system)
- Experience of identifying activity indicative of financial crime risk, i.e. money laundering, terrorist financing, etc. risk
- Experience in undertaking investigations/analysis into customer activity with the ability to draw inferences from noted behaviour, including transactional profile, against expectation established from KYC/CDD data
- Experience in writing reports
- Proven high quality spoken and written communication skills with the ability to draft reports and communicate conclusions effectively, in a clear, concise and professional manner
- Consistently achieve objectives set and take action to improve own performance
- Strong organisational skills
- Collaborative working style with colleagues and broader stakeholders within a cross-border and LoB matrix organisation
- Prior regulatory or law enforcement investigations experience is advantageous
- ACAMS or International Compliance Association (ICA) certificate/diploma, or equivalent qualifications
- Strong communication with good inter-personal and influencing skills
- Receptive to accepting and effecting change
Candidates with less relevant experience or skills may be offered a lower Global Career Band than stated above.
Due to the urgent hiring need, candidates with immediate right to work locally and no relocation need will be prioritised.
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Due to the current situation related to the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), we're leveraging our digital capabilities to ensure we can continue to recruit top talent at the HSBC Group. As your application progresses, you may be asked to use one of our digital tools to help you through your recruitment journey. If so, one of our Resourcing colleagues will explain how our video-interviewing technology will be used throughout the recruitment process and will be on hand to answer any questions you might have.
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC. www.hs
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by HSBC Electronic Data Processing Lanka (Pvt) Limited